Thursday, August 15, 2013

Marsh Madness Part 2

After having so much fun in the marsh Saturday, I headed back out Sunday.  I launched from Birdseye Dock around noon, with the tide very low but coming in.  I paddled upstream towards the northern entrance to the marsh, but rather than going to the main channel I instead went up a smaller side channel with a decent flow of water almost directly across from Bonds Dock.

As I paddled up the channel it broke off into two; I took the left because it seemed to have more water flowing through it.  As I continued into the narrowing channel, I noticed something sticking out of the water ahead.  As I approached it ducked below the surface of the water, and as I coasted over I saw a turtle swimming beneath my board.  Knowing to look for them, I noticed turtles at almost every turn in the smaller channels, their heads peaking above the water to check me out then quickly fleeing as I neared.

After half an hour or so of cruising around channels of varying sizes, I decided I better start trying to make my way back out to the main channel or the river.  However try as I might I couldn't find my way out!  Every time I found a channel with some current I would follow it, expecting to find my way out but instead running into a dead end every time.  After about an hour in the marsh I was getting a little concerned, so I sat down and burned one, had a cigarette and some water, then again made my way forward.  And what do you know, right after I finished smoking the slow-moving channel I was resting in lead right into the main channel!

Once in the main channel I headed upstream, out of the marsh and into the river.  There was lots of boat traffic, but my Ark seems to handle wake and swells very well as only once did I even feel off balance, and that was only because a following wave caused the nose of my board to dip about 8 inches into the water, and even then I was able to maintain my balance with a sweeping brace.

I got down to the George Washington Bridge before turning around.  I headed back downstream as I started to feel winded from the wind and waves.  I alternated between kneeling and standing, making my way down the river as passing boats honked and waved.  I passed the main channel of the marsh and again entered where I originally had that day.  I paddled up the channel but took a right this time, which led me down a nice, lazy path that went by a large egret nest with the bird sitting on top.  I also saw more turtles, and two mother or father birds with a bunch of babies who were not happy with me passing by them.  I came to a fork, but taking a left quickly brought me to a dead end.  There was barely enough room for me to turn my 11 foot board around, but I managed, and headed down the other path, only to find it also lead to a dead end in short order.  Fortunately this one was easier to turn around in, so I slowly paddled my way back out to the river.

I headed back to the dock from there, and as I unstrapped my gear from my board a women in her car commented "Aww I was waiting to see you go out, I thought you were just leaving!" and then proceeded to lecture me about why I should carry a knife in case I'm attacked by a shark, because the Housatonic River is a perfect environment for bull sharks which can live in salt and fresh water!  I tried to explain to her that bull sharks and other dangerous sharks are not found in the Housatonic or even Long Island Sound for that matter.  There are some sand tigers in the Sound, but they feed primarily at night and aren't large enough to eat a person anyway, and while a Great White could technically find its way into the Sound, you'd have a better chance of winning the powerball jackpot than getting bit by a great white in Long Island Sound.

Looking forward to heading out into the marsh again, but after getting lost I decided to order a waterproof case for my phone (a Galaxy Note 2).  Since I was ordering that I figured I might as well get some water resistant headphones, and I also ordered a Pyle Waterproof Wireless Bluetooth stereo speaker.  Once I have the waterproof case I will finally be able to add pictures to my blog!  Tune in!

No comments:

Post a Comment