Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Aug. 23, 2013

This last weekend was beautiful.  Fridays I get to leave work at noon, so as soon as I got out I headed home to eat and then to Birdseye Dock with my SUP.  There were a lot of cars parked there, and I happened to run into a guy I know through work (no surprise, I work like 1 minute from the dock and lots of people go to Birdseye to eat lunch).

By the time I launched it was only about an hour from high tide, so I rode the current upstream a bit and popped into the marsh.  I am really loving cruising through the marsh between Stratford and Milford (also known as Duck Island according to Google Earth) - around each turn there's either seabirds, ducks, or a turtle popping his head out of the water checking me out.  The only bad thing about the marsh is the gnats and flies, which end up eating up my feet and legs regardless of if I wear bug spray or not.

After kneeling down to burn one, I paddled out of the marsh and upstream farther, heading across the main marsh-channel and the secondary, Milford-side channel.  I kept paddling, passing the docks on the Milford side, at which point I stopped to snap a picture just for the hell of it.  I cruised up to the Washington Bridge and turned around the pilon, now heading directly into the wind and current.  The wind was barely blowing so I had an easy paddle back downstream, and with the tide changing the current was almost non-existant.  There was some awkward cross-chop from the changing tide coming through the harbors, but my Ark handled it with ease even when a following wave caused the front of my board to dunk below the surface of the water, causing me to quickly get swamped but fortunately didn't put me in the drink.  Overall a great paddle and a very nice day!


Went out Saturday and Sunday but the weather got too cold and that was the end of the season.

-TreeburnerCT

No comments:

Post a Comment