Saturday, June 21, 2014

Week 4 - Wednesday

Since I didn't get out on the water at all Week 3 of the season I was itching for a ride, so Wednesday I left work at 3pm, went home to get all my stuff together then headed straight for Birdseye Dock.  I got there about 4:20, and after loading up my gear and connecting my speaker to my phone I paddled out into the river.  I was surprised by how few people were out there - it was one of the hottest days of the year so far, but I guess most people were still stuck at work.  I headed upstream while I could, as high tide was at 4:59 and soon after the water would come rushing back out of the river.

Paddling up the river, I saw a couple large water rats sitting along the shore together, one holding a small fish in its mouth.  I thought about stopping to try to take a picture, but they were not easily visible so I continued my upstream paddle.  I was trying to make it to the Washington Bridge before the current got too strong to continue.

I made it to the last marsh entrance closest to Rivercliff before the tide began to withdraw from the river at a meaningful speed.  It was also at this point I began to tire, so I knelt down and paddled faster but much more softly, allowing me to rest my arms while continuing to move forward.  After a few minutes kneeling my arms were rested well enough, so I stood back up and continued my paddle towards the bridge, slowly making progress towards my goal.

After finally making it to the bridge I paddled around one of the pilings and headed back downriver, enjoying the aid provided by the very fast outgoing tide.  I knelt down again, snapping some pictures of the Rivercliff Landing as I floated by with my music cranking.

The rest of the paddle back to Birdseye was uneventful, other than the fact that there wasn't a single moving boat in sight my whole way.  I snapped a picture of the empty river in both directions, but pictures don't do it justice so I only included one below.

I got back to Birdseye and sported a smile my whole ride home - getting out on the river sure beats staying at work!

-TreeburnerCT

2 comments:

  1. Hi there, I am looking into getting an Ark and was wondering -- now that you've been paddling on it -- how you feel you like it (and if you've tried any other boards in the meantime)? I am a beginner but want a board that is more intermediate (for speed/glide) and am worried this board might be a little slower than I'd like. I've tried some BICs and the lower end ones were sluggish -- I had a chance to try my friends racing/touring board out and so that is what I am partly comparing it things too now.

    Thanks for any info.

    Amy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find it great, but I've only ridden one other board which was a 12 foot touring board made of fiberglass which would be way too unsteady out in the saltwater because of its streamlined profile. If you're paddling solely on freshwater you might consider a narrower board than the Ark.

      I love the Ark, but the adjustable paddle is for the birds - upgrading to a Ke Nalu is what made the most impact for me in terms of speed.

      -Joe

      Delete